ticker

Monday, April 11, 2011

And the rock rolls down the hill...finally!



So, this was the photo accompanying my last post:


I had been stuck at 98 pounds down for almost 6 weeks. I was working out 5-6 days a week, recording everything I ate, drinking my water, taking my vitamins, and generally following the program to the letter. Yet, the scale would not move. At all.


Well, friends, the bouder has moved. As of today, 8 months post-op, I am 101 pounds down.


Just to compare:


1st Day of pre-op Liquid Diet Today, 101 pounds lighter




I've also had my 6 (well, turned out to be 7) month follow up visit with my surgeon. My labs were fantastic. My cholesterol is actually low: 122, down from 139 last visit, which was down from 193 pre-surgery. Blood pressure was 117/68. All other vitals were normal. Normal. Hee.


Some other statistics:


* I am wearing jeans 10 sizes smaller than I was wearing 8 months ago, tops 9 sizes smaller, and I've gone down 8 band sizes and 2 cups sizes in bras. I'm even wearing smaller sized shoes.


* I exercise nearly everyday. I alternate cardio and strength training. On cardio days, I walk 2 miles, and complete 1 mile on the elliptical. I had been running (!) but my knee started hurting so I've backed off...for now. On the days when I can't because of scheduling or choose not to go to the gym, I work exercise in some other way. For example, yesterday I spent most of the day outside moving and painting deck furniture, cleaning, planting herbs and flowers, and walking. I've put a lot of pictures of myself on this blog and in most of them, I look pretty cute: hair done, makeup, and usually, a new outfit. I thought this picture would be a welcome, realistic addition to the Banana Pouch: this is what I really look like, after working out, at 6 a.m. Yes, that is sweat on my forehead at 6 a.m. Yes, it's still dark out.


* I haven't had a Diet Coke (or any soda) in 8 months.


* While I would love to say that I haven't smoked in 8 months, we all know that isn't true. BUT, I can say I haven't smoked in nearly a month.


To celebrate and mark the occasion of losing 100 pounds, I'm going to do a couple of things. First, of course, is the second part of my tattoo. I've decided to switch it up a bit; I'm not adding to the first one on my chest. Instead, I'm going to have the second word, Courage, placed in a location to be named later. I shall keep you posted.


Also, I'm going to organize a food drive with the goal being to donate 100 pounds of food to a local non profit that serves people who are homeless or otherwise in need. I'm still figuring out the details of how it will work, but I like the idea of donating food to people who don't have enough to eat to commemorate the accomplishment of learning to eat less.


As in past progress posts, I've done a little research on things that weigh what I have lost. My Aunt Donna really enjoys these, so for her, a List of Things that Weigh 100 Pounds:


* A Burpee Big Maxx Pumpkin, 70' diameter


* An adult male deer


* A 2 month old horse


* A Rotax aviation engine. Like for a plane. Seriously.


* A Hawkbill sea tortoise


I've learned a lot over the past eight months, and not all of it has been fun. I've worked hard, made my share of mistakes, but I wouldn't trade this journey for anything. Thanks for coming along with me, everyone. Stay tuned; this is just the beginning!



1 comment: